Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Practice Patience with Other People

I have extreme hearing loss in both ears so I wear hearing aids. One of my aids broke last week so I'm having difficulty hearing lately. My present predicament reminded me of a time when I didn't wear hearing aids at all because I couldn't afford them.

I was in the grocery store waiting in the checkout line. It was a busy time of day and all the lines were long. I was minding my own business when someone behind me tapped me with a cart. I turned and saw an irate woman who yelled at me, "Are you deaf? I'm trying to get through!"

I used to feel embarrassed about being hearing impaired so I didn't say anything and just moved out of her way. She glared at me like I was being rude when I simply couldn't hear.

I'm posting this because there are many people out there with disabilities, both visible and invisible and some people are quick to vent their anger and frustration when dealing with them.

I cared for my mom when she had Parkinson's Disease and her mobility had slowed to a tortoise pace. When we were walking across store parking lots, occasionally drivers would increase their speed to beat us to the crosswalk, just so they wouldn't have to wait another minute for us to cross.

And yet, we all have to stop for the red light.

No comments:

Post a Comment