Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Sky from the Perspective of an Artist

Like a lot of people, crayons were my first media as an artist. Opening up a new box of crayons, seeing all the perfect points and smelling the rich scent of wax always reminds me of childhood. One of my favorite activities was coloring and this influence shows up in much of my art. Here is a poem I wrote about a cherished memory:

The Artist’s Sky


A crowded kindergarten room
filled with trucks and dolls.
It is Play Time,
the hour past Coloring Time
and right before Nap Time.


The crayons and papers
have long been put away.
The smiling people,
stick trees, puffy clouds and corner suns,
all finished and forgotten,
except by the girl with the blue crayon.


Her friend pleads her to come
play with Barbie,
but the young artist says,
“The sky’s not done.”


“Color just the clouds
like everyone else,”
her friend replies.


But the artist continues drawing,
moving the stubby crayon back and forth
across the expanse
until the entire background
is filled in.


©2011 Ginny Gaura

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Poem. Very much how I remember those crayon days...

    Holbie

    ReplyDelete