Friday, April 29, 2011

Sharpie Design on Birdbath Sculpture

For the In Bloom public art exhibit, artists were assigned sponsors. When I found out that I was matched up with Sharpie, I was ecstatic! I immediately thought of all the bright colors and how  it would be fun to use Sharpies on the birdbath. After all, I love Sharpie markers and had been working with them for years in my art. When I consulted with Sharpie and Cowpainters (the company that produces the fiberglass sculptures) I was informed that ink was not lightfast and the colors would fade over time with prolonged exposure to sunlight.

I still wanted to integrate the Sharpies in some way, so I decided to use them to outline the design on the bird bath. I spoke to Donna Ramos of Sharpie and she told me that Sharpie had four things they wanted incorporated in the design: it needed to be colorful, bold, free-flowing and original. Those are four words that I would use to describe my own art as well so I felt Sharpie was a great match for me. Donna was a pleasure to talk to and very supportive. I am thankful for her help.

The bird bath itself resembles a hibiscus flower, so I chose a plant theme for subject matter. I wanted to show leaves with colored spirals representing flowers. I could have easily combined flowers in the design, but I didn't want to get too literal and overwhelm the floral structure. I wanted to create a feeling and stay true to the Sharpie directive. Here is the design I drew on the sculpture in various Sharpie colors:



No comments:

Post a Comment