Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Laughing and Crying with Other People

"You may forget the one with whom you have laughed, but never the one with whom you have cried." Those are words of a poem by the Sufi master, Kahlil Gibran. I used this poem in my painting "Gibran's But Never". I chose to the rich colors of purple and gold express this deep spiritual content. The word "laughed" is intentionally faded to place the emphasis on sorrow.

I painted this during a depression and today I was feeling depressed again. Then a close friend called. You know how you can open up to certain people, cry your eyes out, and they can make you feel better? She helped me to laugh and realize I'm not alone in what I'm going through.

After I got off the phone, I went online and found out that a print of "Gibran's But Never" had just sold on Fine Art America. I'm hoping it helps whoever needs it. It has helped me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful painting and I love concept! It reminds me of another quote I like: "life is like photography we develop from the negatives"

    ReplyDelete